Skip to main content

#7: Playtest-Cringe

Well, that was hard. I had my first playtest a couple days back and it didn't go exactly as planned. The mechanics I designed so carefully, did not work as intended and even though the game was playable (for the most part) it had some serious issues. Overall I just wasn't satisfied with how it played.

Issues were:

  • No incentive to deploy the 2nd and 3rd Radical
  • Tedious pressure-counting ("somebody open up a spreadsheet!")
  • No choices in the first ring. Everybody loots the Mech-pile
  • Not much playboard-interaction (ring-turning)
  • Unbalanced Cards.
  • Pressure-Dice-Mechanic was way too complicated
  • Combat was too easy
  • Pressure was too abundant
  • No real incentive to fight other players

My first instinct is to jump right into it and start the whole design-process all over again. However I will continue play-testing with v1 just to get a more detailed feedback and also continue to make the few remaining game-objects like pressure-counter and health-meter.

Looks nice - plays bad
Looks nice - plays bad. Radica v1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#4: The 2nd cardboard

So here it is. The second cardboard-prototype is finally finished. It took way longer than anticipated, since finding a big piece of cardboard is apparently super hard. Anyway... ....once I finally had it all it took me about two evenings to cut and draw. My template was the Inkscape-File and this time I decided not to use water paint, but only graphite pencils, so I could make some changes after play-testing. This prototype should last me a while and help me refine the gameplay to the point where I can have full matches.  Keep you posted. 2nd cardboard-prototype with layout. Added scavenge-sites.

#1 First Cardboard-Prototype

Here it is. My first cardboard-prototype of Radica. I even managed to play it a few times, although not for long, because I ran out of cards. I now know what I want to change though: Redesign the paths, so each ring has a unique character (fast-ring, etc.) Make the rings turn and stack them like terraces, to make the game more 3 dimensional and also to include a new mechanic of laying and blocking a path Build the whole game with the Laser-Cutter 1st cardboard-prototype